CURRICULAR PRACTICAL TRAINING (CPT) is a part-time, paid or unpaid, internship opportunity for eligible F-1 International Students in which they are permitted by the USCIS to gain practical training in a field directly related to their degree.
Curricular Practical Training (CPT) is a type of work-authorization used for F-1 students to complete off-campus training experiences. The primary purpose of CPT is to gain practical experience in the student’s field of study. The training experience must be an integral part of an established curriculum and directly related to the student’s major area of study.
Since CPT is curricular in nature, the student must also enroll for a course that requires an off-campus training experience. CPT is not possible for all F-1 students because it is dependent on the academic requirements of a specific
To be eligible for CPT authorization you must meet the following requirements:
- New students or students beginning a new program must complete 3 full academic quarters at Stanton University.
- Transfer students coming from another university within the same program (Ex. BBA-BBA) must complete 1 full quarter at Stanton University and 3 full time quarters (1 academic year) at their previous university.
- Students at Stanton University transferring to a new program within the same academic lever (Ex. PGM-KCA) Must complete 1 quartet in the new program.
CPT authorization is quarter specific. There are four quarters during which one may apply for CPT: Fall, Winter, Spring or Summer.
- CPT experiences must be directly linked to a specific course
- CPT cannot extend beyond the last day of exams for the quarter in which the authorization is granted.
CPT Application Deadlines
The deadline for all CPT applications is the final course add and drop date for each quarter. See the university’s academic calendar for details.
Once your documents have been received by Mr. Logan Riggs (email@example.com), the processing time for all applications is 3 to 5 business days. You will be notified once the process is complete.
Please first review the document CPT Guidelines, which describes the process and answers frequently asked questions.
If you like to have a career consultation, please contact Mr. Tim Trieu at firstname.lastname@example.org
If you have completed the CPT paperwork or have any additional questions about CPT, please contact Mr. Logan Riggs at email@example.com
Can I work full-time (more than 20 hours per week)?
No. You are only allowed to work part time (20 hours or less).
Can I continue at the same job for subsequent CPT’s?
Yes. However, you need to re-apply every quarter, remain eligible, and receive approval. You will fill out the CPT Renewal Form.
Can I begin working before I receive approval?
No. You must receive approval and a new I-20 for each specific CPT employment.
What is the CPT Internship Course?
It is an online course with your program director. The purpose of this course is to integrate your work experience and your course learning with a meaningful assignment.
Will the CPT Internship Course count towards academic credit?
Yes. Each of the CPT Internship courses will count towards 1 unit but it does not count towards your degree.
Is there a fee for CPT?
Yes. There is a one-time CPT fee of $100 for first time applicants for each degree level
In addition, the CPT course is the cost of one (1) unit.
When is the CPT Internship fee due?
You must pay for your CPT Internship course by the first day of the start of the quarter that you applied.
How do I get my Social Security card?
After you have been approved for CPT, take the following items to the Social Security Administration Office to apply:
- Your new I-20 along with your Job Offer Letter
- CPT Social Security recommendation letter from the International student advisor
What happens if I fail my CPT Internship course?
You will be ineligible for CPT for the next quarter. You can re-apply the following quarter after that and receive approval as long as you are eligible.
- Example: If you fail Winter CPT Internship Course, you will not be eligible to apply for spring quarter. However, you may re-apply during summer quarter
Student Resources on Canvas is only available for current students. If you have trouble accessing this resource, please email firstname.lastname@example.org